Registration of Lithuanian passport is not the fastest procedure in comparison with other European countries. For example, the naturalization process requires permanent residence in Lithuania for at least 10 years. However, there are options for a significant reduction in this period. In principle, in recent years, a lot of changes have been made to the local law “On citizenship”. We highlight the current ways of obtaining citizenship of Lithuania in 2019.
Options and requirements for registration of Lithuanian citizenship
- Legal presence on Lithuanian territory.
- Permanent residence in Lithuania for at least 10 years.
- Examination in Lithuanian and knowledge of the basic provisions of the Constitution. This paragraph does not apply to persons over 65 years of age or in the case of serious mental illness.
- The presence of a legal source of income.
- Willingness to renounce the citizenship of another country.
- The Lithuanian passport is not provided to foreigners who have committed serious crimes, as well as acts threatening the security of Lithuania.
The decision to grant Lithuanian citizenship is taken by the decree of the President of the country, and the passport is handed after taking the solemn oath of allegiance to the Republic of Lithuania. The application process may take more than 6 months.
Documents for obtaining Lithuanian citizenship by naturalization
- Application for Lithuanian citizenship.
- A foreign passport or other document confirming the identity of the foreigner.
- Official confirmation that the candidate legally resides in the Lithuanian territory and has been continuously residing in Lithuania for the last 10 years.
- Certificate of no criminal record for serious crimes from the country of the previous residence.
- A document showing the presence of legal income, for example, registration of own business or certificate of employment in Lithuania.
- A document confirming the passing of the exam on the knowledge of the state language and the basics of the Constitution of Lithuania.
The period of permanent residence in Lithuania for naturalization citizenship in case of marriage with the holder of a Lithuanian passport is reduced to 7 years.
Lithuanian citizenship by birth
Any child, regardless of the place of birth, provided the parents of Lithuanians, automatically receives Lithuanian citizenship. This rule also applies to adoption. Children born on Lithuanian territory are also entitled to a Lithuanian passport, if the citizenship of the parents is not established, but who permanently reside in Lithuania. A child found on the territory of Lithuania, if nothing is known about the parents also receives citizenship.
In addition to the above options, a Lithuanian passport may be issued to a foreigner for special services, such as outstanding athletes or scientists, as well as for the restoration procedure, that is, to persons or their descendants who have Lithuanian citizenship before June 15, 1940.
What gives Lithuanian citizenship?
- Unimpeded movement within the territory of the member States of the Schengen agreement and many other developed countries of the world.
- Simplified employment in Europe and free business in Lithuania.
- Access to education in one of the most prestigious European or Lithuanian universities.
- Quality medicine and high social standards.
- Under certain conditions, Lithuania is allowed to have dual citizenship.
Dual citizenship in Lithuania
Lithuanian citizens may have a passport of another state only in special cases. For example, this applies to refugees, Lithuanians who have entered into marriage with a foreigner, as well as persons or their descendants who left Lithuania before 11 March 1990.