Practical information for those who want to study in New Zealand


Before your studies in New Zealand, there are some practical things that need to be prepared. Discover dolphins, whales, and seals up close and enjoy the stunning scenery and beautiful views as you study in New Zealand.


To study in New Zealand, you will need a student visa or student permit as well as a passport that is valid throughout your studies. During short courses in New Zealand where you stay for a maximum of 90 days, you do not need a visa. If you are going to study in New Zealand for more than 3 months, a student visa is required.

Foreign Student Insurance

As a student in New Zealand, we recommend that you take out a study abroad insurance that gives you complete insurance cover throughout your study period.


Prices vary and we recommend that you provisionally book a flight ticket well in advance to be sure to find a trip that fits your desired dates. Should you be away for an extended period of time, it may be better to fit in with a flexible ticket.


Most foreign students find private accommodation on-site either with other students or on their own. It is generally relatively easy to rent a house or apartment off-campus in New Zealand. However, we recommend that you book temporary accommodation so that you have somewhere to sleep for the first nights.

You can also choose to stay with a host family or on the campus in a student corridor, house or apartment. Accommodation in the host family and in the student corridor often includes breakfast and dinner. Living on campus during the first semester can be a good option if you come directly from high school and are not used to living on your own. This way you will also get in contact with many other students. The accommodation is booked after you have been admitted to education and you get more information about the different accommodation options together with your admission notice.


The fee depends partly on which school and partly on which course you choose, see the respective school’s catalog or website for current prices. Costs for food and lodging are added and the price for it varies, among other things, because of the place you study at. In addition to this, there are also costs for course literature, transport, and pocket money as well as travel, insurance, and visas.

Study funding

All universities and colleges that we represent in New Zealand are accredited and approved by the Central Student Aid Committee (CSN). However, there may be some shorter courses and certificate programs that do not qualify for study funding. Check with us if you are unsure.

Work permit

As an undergraduate student in New Zealand, you can apply for a work permit and work up to 20 hours per week, given that you have a student visa for an education longer than one year. The work permit is valid from March to October, but you can also apply for a work visa that gives you the right to work during the summer holidays (November – February). If you study at the postgraduate level, you have the right to work for a maximum of 8 hours per week in areas related to your studies.

As a Study Abroad student, you will only be able to work alongside your studies if you study postgraduate courses. Note that the work permit does not guarantee that you will find a job.


For those who are prepared to spend time and dedication, there are plenty of scholarships to apply for your stay abroad. Both specifically tailored scholarships and more generally held.

Education levels

In New Zealand, the quality of post-secondary education is assured by various regulations and government agencies that function as quality auditors. This system has contributed to the New Zealand higher education receiving a very good international reputation. You can study at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels at the universities of New Zealand. You can also read elective courses during one or two terms as a so-called Study Abroad student.

The academic year

The academic year starts in February / March and ends in November, with a semester break of a couple of weeks in July. You usually read four parallel courses during one semester to be a full-time student. Most university programs begin in February and July. If you are interested in studying as a Study Abroad student, you can begin the training either in February or July. The most common is that you apply 4-12 months before the course or program starts, but we receive applications to most schools in New Zealand up to two months before the course starts.

Admission Requirements

To be admitted to a university in New Zealand, you must have a general qualification ie a final grade or equivalent from high school. For example, if you do not have general qualifications, you may go for a so-called Foundation Year or a Preparatory Diploma course before beginning your academic studies.

Language requirements

If you have grades A, B or C in English 5 and 6 from high school, this is usually sufficient as proof of adequate knowledge of English. For master’s studies, however, it is usually required to write an international language test, with the exception of some undergraduate and postgraduate courses where an official language test is required. However, our schools always make an individual assessment of your application. If you have a lower grade but practical experience with the language, in some cases it may suffice.

If you need to write a language test, you can either write an IELTS test or TOEFL test.

Leave a Comment